Visit 21 Acres, learn about integrated energy and environmental systems in the newly certified LEED Platinum building. Walk the farm, shop the market, see the kitchen and experience the entire green-built campus. Find new ideas. Have fun. Take away inspiration and resources to use in your own home. Sustainable features include: rooftop solar panels, living roof and stormwater management, radiant flooring and geo-thermal heat pumps, composting toilets and wastewater systems, insulated concrete form walls, energy conservation, indoor environment: air flow, water quality and acoustics, and gardens, grounds and parking.
Tours are available in the building throughout the day. You can also take a self-guided tour of the farm and grounds. Vendors and community representatives will be on hand from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. to demonstrate and showcase building features and additional ‘green’ resources. The 21 Acres Farm Market will be open with seasonal, organic produce, local farm products and ‘food-to-go’ from our Chef and the kitchen team. We hope to see you on April 26, we’re really excited to have been selected as a “Sustainability Stop” for the NW Green Home Tour! 21acres.org for more information.
Click here for specific information on our green building features.
Below is a list of resources for the building technologies and products that have been integral in establishing the 21 Acres Center as a leader in green building.
Insulated Concrete Forms
- Exterior Walls – High Insulation: APEX Block™ICF http://www.apexblock.com
- Exterior Walls – High Strength: Arxx ICF Blocks http://www.arxx.com/
Ground Source Heat Pump System
- Living roof: http://www.solterrasystems.com/
Rooftop Solar Panels and Energy Technologies
- 25.2 kW solar photovoltaic roof-mounted system: http://www.sunergysystems.com/
- C.E.S. Smart Distribution Panels (digital circuit breakers): http://www.c-e-systems.com
- Computerized Electricity Systems: http://www.c-e-systems.com
Windows, Skylights and Lighting
- Windows: http://www.pella.com/
- Skylights: http://www.kalwall.com/
- Interior Lights: Pacific Lighting Systems: http://www.pacificlightingsystems.com/
Water Conservation and Wastewater Management
- Nibbler wastewater treatment: http://www.thenibblercompany.com/
- Glendon Biofilters waster water treatment: http://www.glendon.com/
- Clivus composting toilets: http://www.clivusmultrum.com/
- Zurn Aquasense Sensor Faucets: http://www.zurn.com/
Healthy Building Controls, Fixtures, and Materials
- ATS Automation Ventilation Control System: http://www.atsinc.org/index.html
- Custom Pure Water Filtration System: http://www.custompure.com/
- Low Impact Development Driveway Pavers: http://www.pavingstones.com/aquapave/
- EV Project electric vehicle charging stations: http://www.theevproject.com/
- Low Energy Vertical Transportation: Kone Elevators: http://www.kone.com/
About 21 Acres:
Dedicated to education and advocacy, the 21 Acres Center for Local Food and Sustainable Living seeks to accelerate social change toward more sustainable ways of growing, eating and living to protect the environment while supporting a better quality of life. 21 Acres incorporates a whole systems approach to solving issues around wholesome food availability, small-scale food economies, environmental preservation and sustainability in buildings. 21 Acres is a nonprofit agricultural and environmental learning center and living laboratory for green and sustainable building design and operations. More info at 21acres.org