Water Conservation, Energy Efficiency, Indoor Air Quality, Materials Efficiency, Design Innovation, Storm Water Infiltration, Green Roof, Advanced Building Envelope
Designed and Built by Batt + Lear
*5-Star Built Green Certified Remodel
A family sets out to remodel their little old farmhouse in Wedgwood. A single family urban lot with a mini apple orchard to the north and a play yard and wind-torn fig tree to the south is home to a cold, dark house. The questions that we ask and answer around the tiny kitchen table set the stage for a net-zero-ready house (DOE-certification pending) that is sun-filled, with a passive solar sunroom, natural ventilation scooped up by the vaulted, south-facing roof, and a sprawling green roof and a large rain garden by the fig tree.
The questions we asked:
- How much of this house should we save?
- How should we take advantage of the large southern-facing yard you have?
- Why should we go up rather than out? Up is more expensive, but if we can save your play space and get better solar access, would it be worth it? … and what might it be like to sleep up in the branches of those fruit trees?
- What if we shape the roof so that we can take advantage of the sun instead of defaulting to the gable that we once had?
- If we don’t need to add a 2nd story over the whole house (because you don’t need that much space), what should we do with the rest of the roof?
- If we told you we are going to build an envelope that is net zero ready, would you commit to putting solar PV on that south-facing roof some day?
- What should we do with all of the rain that hits your roofs? We are going to need to do something there where we staged our construction materials!
Other features of this project include:
- -Existing floor joists salvaged for re-use in deck construction, interior trim & furniture
- -Local, custom steel passive solar awnings for shading to the south
- -FSC wood throughout (framing, sheathing, flooring, soffits, decking, and cabinets)
- -Liquid-applied WRB/air barrier
- -Rigid mineral wool exterior insulation
- -Super-insulated roof
- -Piping for future solar
- -Custom reclaimed fir front doors
- -Local & low-VOC finishes & fixtures
- -Sanden combined hydronic CO2 heat pump for space heating and domestic hot water
- -LED lighting solutions throughout