Energy Efficiency, Materials Efficiency, Design Innovation, Storm Water Infiltration
The goal of this project was to create a backyard cottage for two artists to have self-contained studio space. Doing this thoughtfully, and with a focus on the final landscaping and water management was a primary goal, along with siting the ADU in such a way that it enhances the landscape and the existing home on the property. A number of measures were taken to achieve a 3-star Built Green rating.
- The building was kept small and existing vegetation protected to the South.
- A paver system was used as landscaping instead of concrete, and no grass was planted.
- A small cistern was installed at the rear of the building, which connects into a rain garden.
- Provisions were installed for a future solar PV system
- A variety of moisture-protection measures, from larger overhangs to sill pans at doors
- Used subfloor as finished flooring
- Selected 40-year siding and roofing products
- Used Paperstone for the countertops